Kerkouane probably destroyed during the First Punic War, in the so-called Regulusexpedition, but never rebuilt. Excavations have taken place since 1953 and lasted, with interruptions of up to 1976. The town’s origins are uncertain, but one suspects that there has been a Berber settlement, before the Phoenicians arrived. The earliest Punic objects date to the sixth century BC. The city itself forms a semicircle facing the sea, and until now, however, are no port facilities have been discovered, although the coast line in the city has been well studied. A port is therefore assumed outside the city.
The approximately nine-acre city was densely built up with houses. These were probably the most Einfamilienanhäuser, in the middle of a courtyard, was grouped around the individual rooms. Stairs indicate upper floors. Building material was mostly local stone, with individual parts of the wall were made of carefully hewn stone, between which are rather rough stones had been set. The houses were fitted relatively comfortably. There were bathtubs, floors were equipped with a preform of mosaic (opus sgninum) and the walls were partially modeled stucco. There were gutters, rainwater launched from the rooftops. A temple could be identified. The city was surrounded by a wall.
There were signs of purple and Pottery Factory. It is thought that glass were produced in the village. An important economic function was certainly the trade. There were imports from most countries of the Mediterranean, including red-figure Attic pottery and are painted Italic vases. Outside the urban area there were at least four necropolis. In one of the graves there was still a wooden coffin, its lid in the form of a lady is modeled. The style of the cover is purely Hellenistic and probably dated to the 4th century BC.